Monday, July 23, 2007

Blog Up-To-Date

Ok guys... I've finally got this new blog up-to-date. I've just spent nearly all Sunday afternoon and evening posting pictures videos and stories about what's been going on for the last two months. So, scroll down a bit and you will see lots of new content.

I'd also like to throw in here that so far I am completely unimpressed with Google's Blogger utility. I was truly expecting a "canned" blogging utility designed by google to be much easier to use and more bug free, neither of which are the case. In the last few hours that I've spent blogging I've hit 3 unkown errors while trying to publish posts. These spit out some random error code with a message saying I should use this error code when discussing the issue with google... yeah... sure. At least they autosave drafts of my posts so I didn't lose too much content when this happened.

I'm mostly dissappointed with the post editing tools. The window that they give you to edit your post in is about 3" tall by 7" wide and not resizeable. When I insert pictures they always go directly to the top of the post instead of where my cursor is located when I clicked on insert picture. And trying to get the pictures to layout the way I want using their tools is just about impossible without actually editing the html which is not formatted very well to say the least. The pictures take forever to upload. When selecting which pictures to upload I can't select a group of pictures at one time, I have to click on add another picture, browse, find the next picture, and okay for each picture that I want to upload for one post... Ughhh! And last but not least I'm not too thrilled with any of their preset templets, I'm going to have to spend some time tweaking it some to at least get the layout I want.

To be honest I expected a lot more from Google... since they are the reining King of the Web. Of course it's also 1:30am and I'm really tired... so please just ignore this rant!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Yeah, I had a lot of those same problems. I have to use Picasa to up load my pics otherwise it take forever to up load them and then half the time after waiting 5 mins and error would come, so I use picasa but even with that I can only post 4 pictures at a time. But that is a lot better than waiting forever. But it is fun so I can't complain to much. Good luck :)

Lacie said...

Well even with all the problems you are having I am glad you have something you can post on again! We were missing out on your life :). I can't believe how big Thatcher is. So when will I see him in December or maybe in October did I hear Jen was coming to Utah? I am excited to start seeing more pictures of you guys again.

Jason said...

Yeah... I always used picasa before with my blog since it took to long to load my page if I hosted the pictures on my own server. I've been thinking I'll probably just continue doing that method, but I wanted to first give the blogger tools a try. I was expecting that the whole experience would be better, but then again picasa is a google product that is supposed to link nicely with blogger so maybe they just expect that users will use that method for uploading pictures and posting them to their blogs, and therefore didn't invest much in there blogger picture uploading story.

Jen Olson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.