Wednesday, July 4, 2007

I gave in...

Well... my blog has been down for nearly two months now and today I'm finally giving in... throwing in the towel and creating a "blogspot" blog hosted by google :(

Here's the deal. The family with whom we are currently staying subscribes to comcast's "home networking" package. This package differs from a regular account in that they let you "rent" a preconfigured linksys router running firmware with their own "features" added in... Among these features include only allowing 5 dynamically allocated IP addresses and only allowing those 5 computers access to the internet. So, you can add a network printer with a static IP that won't have internet access but won't take up one of your 5 slots for internet access. While this "feature" is quite annoying I was able to move enough network devices to static IP address to allow my laptop to connect to the internet.

The more severe problem with their router is it doesn't allow me to forward inbound http requests to my web server... I guess their EULA doesn't allow for running a web server and they use their router to enforce the restriction. So, naturally we could use my own router and cancel the "home network" package. However, since I've taken my new job with windows mobile I don't have as much of a need to work on my C++ at home since I get plenty of C++ projects at work. I've had less desire to finish up the features I've been wanting to add to my web server and figured I should just go for a "canned" solution.

So, here it is... the "Hep and Happy" blog. I'll work on importing my previous posts into this location as well.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Crissybug said...

I was wondering what happened to you! I kept checking in on your blog, and it would never come up! Then I clicked on your name in a comment...and lo and behold - you got a blogspot!

Needless to say...I know how much fun you had creating your 'own' blog...blogger is soooo much easier. I look forward to seeing new posts soon!

BTW - you said the family you are staying with? Are you guys not in your house?