Sunday, August 19, 2007

Twilight: Just say NO




(Twilight is a teenage vampire romance novel that's spreading through the female population like wildfire)

I mean it... Just say NO.

I am a self professed expert at the technique of understanding others. In an honest self evaluation I feel that I'm pretty good at putting myself in others shoes to attempt to understand what they feel and why they may feel the way they do. This is only one of my many super powers ;) This skill even extends in to the female species. I've always scoffed at the old cliche that men don't understand women and felt that I was high above the average in this regard. I can even appreciate a decent chick flick every once in while if it develops realistic characters that you can relate too... okay... I'll admit it... I even enjoyed all 6 hours of Pride and Prejudice.

Well... I've been stumped.

A few months ago Jen started reading this new teenage book series known as Twilight (written by an LDS author but not necessarily to an LDS only audience). She raved and raved about how good this love story is between a teenage girl and a vampire.

... that's right... a vampire.

She finally convince me that I should listen to the book on CD. She placed it on hold for me at the library and rushed to pick it up when it arrived. I have to admit I was interested to listen to it if not just to understand what it was that Jen liked so much about this book.

I've usually enjoyed Jen's recommendations in the past, and began listening to this one with an open mind, trying the best I could to listen to it from Jen's perspective to perhaps learn more about my wonderful wife.

I didn't hate the book... It was mediocre. The action/adventure portion of the plot was perhaps enjoyable, but I simply cannot understand what everyone sees in this love story! I thought I understood girls to some extent, but this just throws me for a loop. I don't understand why all the girls that read this book just go goo goo eyed for this fictional vampire character.

My biggest complaint about this love story is this... there isn't any... It's just *poof* we're in love! Where is the human emotion in that... Where is the development of true devotion to each other... come on! I thought girls out grew the valiant knight sweeping me off my feet and carrying me off into the sunset fantasy at about age 15. I expected they traded that in for a true perspective on love, one that includes serving, giving, understanding, as well as attraction and passion. You know... like Clint Black says, "Love isn't some place that we fall, it's something that we do". Love is something that is layered through the experiences you share together, which is what makes it grow over time. This teenage infatuation fantasy is so shallow compared to what really can exist between a husband and a wife.

So as the wildfire continues to spread rapidly through ranks of our wonderful wives, sisters, daughters, and friends. I stand as one lone voice against the fury calling husbands everywhere to stand with me and warn their wives when they are pressured into reading Twilight to just say NO.

PS. To Stephenie Meyer I mean you no disrespect. Your book is much better then anything I could ever produce. My satirical remarks here are not so much a critique of your book as a desire to understand what it is about teenage infatuation that makes even grown women weak in the knees.

7 comments:

Jen Olson said...

Are you kidding?!? Girls don't out grow wanting to be swept off their feet! EVER! Even after we are married we require daily sweeping from the men we love. :)

And one more thing...the book is fiction! Which means that every love story isn't going to develop perfectly like ours did. :) If it's a bit shallow, then it helps us understand differnt types of people so that we can learn to be empathetic. I guess what you aren't understanding is that girls like to re-live the whole falling in love process. Especially if it's some ordinary girl getting the greatest guy! :)

Jason said...

Well it's a good thing you married one of the best "sweepers" around then ;)

And I can understand that some love maybe even most relationships do start as infatuation which then can grow into a more meaningful connection. But as far as I'm concerned love at first sight isn't an interesting love story... It's a cop out.

I guess girls don't mind skipping the difficult part and jumping directly to the lovey-dubey stuff... as far as literary works go... perhaps in real life too ;)

Amber said...

I think I would have to agree with you Jason. Not on book, since I haven't even read it yet, (yes notice the yet:) I have all intentions on reading it) but ever since I have gotten married chick flicks haven't been as good for me. Like you said they have the characters fall in love to fast (and that is coming from a girl that married a guy after 3 months) The authors and directors need to make the reader and watcher know why they are in love. But anyways. I am trying to like chick flick again because I use to really enjoy them and I do want to give this book a try :)

Jason said...

I'm glad I've got one female at least partly on my side... even though she hasn't read the book yet.

I think you should read it Amber. I'm curious if it will cast the same spell on you that it seems to invoke on all other females that touch its pages.

In all honesty you'll probably enjoy it. It really wasn't as bad as I'm trying to make it sound. But I am honestly confused as to why the love story seems to captivate all girls that read it, and I found it completely lacking. Maybe you can help me solve the mystery.

K said...

Well, whatever it is with girls and vampires, Stephenie Meyer is making BANK! All three of the series are in the top 10 New York Times Best Sellers List. No, I haven't read the book. Part of me wants to just to see what all the hype is about, and to figure out if I could hack together some love story and make bank off of it. :) But the other part of me is SO SO SO principle based that I would have to say NO NO NO WAY! And run.

K said...

OK, I'm back... strictly for theorizing about the success of a "chick" trilogy (I would probably love it if I read it, to tell the truth. I am a sap at heart, but my more rational side forbids sappyness.) (and -- I forget this is a dude's blog, so sorry Jason, if my tone is inappropriate for a dude blog...:) Back to business: I made some market research breakthrough. A few years back a "dude" trilogy, Lord of the Rings, made the hot list. That created a backlash market for a chick trilogy to make it hot. Moreover, after Lord of the Rings came Brotherhood of the Wolf, etc, etc. Likewise, anyone who can pound out a wanna be chick trilogy (ie Dawn / Old Moon... :) can still have an echo boom piece of the chick trilogy pie. Not as big as Stephenie, but still some bank to be made in this hot market... anyways, just some market speculation. The punchline: Jen -- get writing!

Amber said...

Okay, well I have read the book. I liked it a lot! That is all I have to say. Sorry Jason.